Welcome

I'm not what you would consider a pastor, but in growing closer to God, I was taught I need three things; Prayer, the Word, and Other People. So, I'm using this blog to keep myself reading the word, and writing about it. Feel free to agree, disagree, or comment on any post you see fit!

Friday, July 22, 2011

Questions

I recently visited one of my best friends in Florida for his wedding. The wedding happened in a flash as most weddings seem to do. The following day we all met for brunch, said our goodbyes and headed home. My friend (after just being married) was gracious enough to spend some extra time with me, and even took me to the airport. During the voyage to JAX airport my friend brought up the subject of raising kids. If you did not know, I have some experience in this area. I have 4 of my own, and my friends tend to seek wisdom in my experience with parenting so far. I didn’t however; think the conversation would turn into what it did. We began discussing raising kids in terms of faith and morals. My friend, who has studied biology and science for a good part of his life, raised in the same neighborhood, and attended the same youth groups as I, and has the same understanding of religion as I do. So conceivable this conversation should have been more mutually statements we both agreed upon. It turned out, we both realized, we had questions about religion.

My friend knew I follow God and I have a good relationship with the Lord. I could see he was in a place where he had many questions. Questions I did not have all the answers to. I cannot say for certain, aliens exist. I cannot say for certain ghosts are real. I cannot say for certain that I have proof ever account of the bible actually happened exactly the way it was described in every translation in the bible. But I told him, I question myself all the time. I question my faith to see exactly if I’m in the right place or not? I question what is right and wrong. What is moral and what is not. I do often as myself the cliché question "What would Jesus do". I feel if I’m not questioning myself, how else am I going to keep myself in check? I told my friend he should question himself. But ultimately, you have to find faith in something.

I was recently informed of a book called "The Case For Christ" by Lee Stroble. This is a perfect example of someone who had questions, and through everything, found answers and found that he had faith that what he knew was what he believed. I feel each of us needs to not only question ourselves, but not rest until we answer them. Now even in many biblical references and other people experiences, answers don’t come instantly. Many times it was YEARS before they got an answer. But that shouldn’t discourage you! If you have a relationship with God, and live by his will, the answer will be given. Matthew 7:7-8 says "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.” It doesn’t say, ask and it will be given to you the instant you ask.

Another example of a great Christian who I do not know personally, but wish I could have, is Job. Through all his suffering, he doesn’t sin or curse God, but questions various things. Questions like 'what’s the point of life when it doesn’t make sense?’ Was it wrong for Job to question life? I don’t believe so. We are human, and in the midst of a hardship, no matter how big or how small, we question every aspect of our lives. But shouldn’t we question ourselves even in good times? I believe so! If we're well off, great job, great family, healthy, and have everything going our way. Shouldn’t we question exactly where we are in life? Shouldn’t we ask ourselves would my relationship with God change if I didn’t have any of this? Why only in hardship do we begin to question God, our faith, ourselves? Is our faith so small that through hardships we back away from God and blame God when we should thank him and honor him for the life he has given us? Even in death we should be thankful he has given us new life in heaven!

How will we answer any question, if we don’t have foundations in Christ? Just as Jesus told us the parable of the seeds that were sown on the different types of soil, and just as 1 Corinthians 3 states, we should have a solid foundation in the Lord. Otherwise we will not last! Our questions will be left unanswered, our faith depleted, our will, destroyed.

What questions do you have? are they questions that you will desperately seek an answer to and strive after God, or are they questions that you will leave unanswered, and leave you empty, faithless, and confused?

No comments:

Post a Comment